Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Personal Experiance

One of the reasons I chose my specific project, other than the fact that I love teaching swimming, is because of a friend that I have. While she does not have a large disability, she does have slight learning disability that has greatly effected her life. She was born in Nepal and was adopted and brought here. She told me that if she had not been adopted, because of her difficulty learning, she would have been sent to work in the coal mines at a very young age. The programs in the United States was what has given her the opportunities and resources that she needed to get through high school and into DVC. The Skills programs in Acalanes, because of the bills regarding children with disabilities, supported her all thought the four years. Now unfortunately, she has failed to find the same type of aid at the college and is now struggling immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment